On The Watch “It’s All About Gervonta Davis vs Lamont Roach”

WBA Lightweight Showdown

Last night’s PBC/Prime Video PPV Main Event between Undefeated WBA Lightweight Champion Gervonta “Tank” Davis (30-0-1, 28 Kos) against WBA Super Featherweight Champion Lamont Roach Jr. (25-1-2, 10 Kos), will forever be tainted by the unusual controversial outcome handed out at the result of this bout. Real Talk!

At the start of the bell Lamont came in focused with a very good “game plan” which he proceeded to use quite effectively while Gervonta took his time downloading his usual data but this time he was met with some resistance from Lamont who did not cooperate as anticipated by Gervonta.

Lamont had brought his “A” game on the night standing his ground and going toe-to-toe with the heavy handed “Tank” who uncharacteristically looked disengaged at times and was taking in more punches than usual. Lamont’s power didn’t seem to bother Gervonta but Lamont’s activity proved to be enough to sway the rounds in his favor.

Both combatants had their moments when exchanging blows where “Tank” showed some levels but was not convincing enough in my eyes. Lamont took in some heavy shots but the kid showed heart and grit and remained fixated at continuing with the “game plan” at hand.

A controversial incident occurred in the ninth round where Gervonta deliberately took a knee due to supposedly having a substance from his hair dripping into his eye which confused the referee Steve Willis, who had started a standing 8 count but changed his mind and allowed Davis to be illegally tended to by his cornerman. In all reality, this should had been called a 10-8 round for Lamont.

That being said, it was clear that Lamont had asserted himself pretty well and definitely became a threat inside that squared circle where Gervonta had tried to step his game up at times to regain the lead but was met with a tougher combatant than expected. Lamont fought with controlled aggression making the bout that much more entertaining than expected.

After 12 full rounds action one Judge scored it 115-113 for Davis while the other two Judges scored it 114-114 even, resulting in a majority draw.

Factor in the missed 10-8 round by the referee and there could have been a clearer winner, nevertheless, with this draw, Gervonta retained his WBA Lightweight Title while Lamont earned the respect of his peers and the boxing community for an outstanding outing of a night.

Blaze

On The Watch “It’s All About Gervonta Davis vs Lamont Roach”

WBA Lightweight Showdown

Undefeated WBA Lightweight Champion Gervonta “Tank” Davis (30-0, 28 Kos) will be looking to defend his Championship Belt against WBA Super Featherweight Champion Lamont Roach (25-1-1, 10 Kos), who will be moving up in weight to attempt to dethrone “Tank” on Saturday night March 1, 2025, on PBC on Prime Video PPV at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Real Talk! Peeps in the boxing community aren’t looking too impressed with this match up but I personally think it might be interesting to see how it goes down considering the two combatants have history dating back to the amateur days.

Lamont may be the clear underdog in this bout but Dude can fight and definitely got the skills to hang with the best of them on any given night. Yet, the main question remains: will he have the right “game plan” to prevent “Tank” from having his way with him inside that squared circle?

We all know too well what “Tank” brings every time out. While each of his past opponents have banked on him starting slow, “Tank” and his exceptional skill set equipped with that equalizer, haven’t failed him yet.

Lamont will seize this opportunity and try to prove Gervonta and the naysayers wrong but truth be told, I think it’s going to take a lot more than a bag of tricks to derail this “Tank”.

That being said, tune in Saturday night March 1, 2025, on PBC on Prime Video PPV at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, and witness the showdown unfold.

Blaze

On The Watch “It’s All About Canelo Alvarez vs Edgar Berlanga”

WBA/WBC/WBO Super Middleweight Challenge

It has now officially been announced: the “Kingpin” Unified WBA/WBC/WBO/Ring Magazine Super Middleweight Champion Canelo Alvarez (61-2-2, 39 Kos) will be defending his Crown on September 14, 2024, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas against Edgar Berlanga (22-0, 17 Kos) giving us that feel of Mexico vs Puerto Rico to look forward too.

Berlanga, who has been chasing this opportunity for quite some time now will be competing in his first world title bout come fight night. Berlanga has been talking up a storm about how he’s the chosen one to beat Canelo and dethrone him of his Crown and No. 1 spot in the Super Middleweight Division but backing those tough talks is a whole different story when you step foot inside that squared circle with the ‘Kingpin” opposite of you.

Mexico vs Puerto Rico has always been a good sell in boxing but the hate that Berlanga has been receiving for being Canelo’s chosen opponent is overshadowing the possibilities this bout could actually bring. Berlanga has no choice but to prove the naysayers wrong by bringing his A game and his best performance come fight night.

We already know what Canelo brings every time out. He takes no opponent lightly and always performs at his best on the biggest stage. This may not be the fight that everyone was looking for but regardless of his opponent Canelo will make this event memorable for all fans in attendance.

Tune in on DAZN/PBC on Prime Video PPV Saturday night September 14, 2024, live at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Blaze

On the Watch “It’s All About Andy Ruiz Jr. vs Luis Ortiz”

WBC Heavyweight Title Eliminator

Last night’s PBC/Fox PPV Main Event between former Unified Heavyweight Champion Andy Ruiz Jr. (35-2, 22 Kos) and Luis Ortiz (33-3 28 Kos) at the Crypto.com Arena, Los Angeles, California, was an interesting bout that saw “King Kong” be at the receiving end of three knockdowns during the 12-round contest. Unbelievable.

I’m not sure if Ortiz underestimated Ruiz inside that squared circle but after seeing the canvas twice in round two, Ortiz awoke and realized quickly that Andy was coming for him by all means necessary. It took Ortiz some time but he eventually gathered himself and adjusted his “game plan” by working his jab while boxing and moving around making Andy rethink his approach.

That said this version of Andy last night was patient, less active with his hands but more calculative with his approach making sure when he pressed the action, his presence was felt with every punch landed. Ruiz’s hand speed and counter punching was the key to his success.

Both combatants fought with caution and at a slower pace than expected at times but both still had signs of success whenever they did connect blows back and forth. That being said, Andy’s counter punching speed and power was quite evident when he once again dropped Ortiz in round seven for a quick 8 count, but Ortiz bounced backed up and completed the tough round.

Ortiz regrouped and managed to build up some momentum throughout the later rounds with an effective jab keeping Ruiz at bay but he lacked that extra bounce in the back of his jab to put Ruiz down whenever the opportunity presented itself.

After 12 full rounds of action the Judges scored it 115-110, 114-111, 113-112 unanimously in favor of Andy Ruiz Jr.

Although Ruiz managed to drop Ortiz multiple times throughout the bout, this was by far one of his toughest battles to date. With this WBC Heavyweight Title Eliminator win under his belt Andy creeps closer to an official WBC World Championship opportunity down the road.

Congratulations Andy on your latest win.

Blaze

On The Watch “It’s All About Chris Colbert vs Hector Luis Garcia”

WBA Super Featherweight Title Eliminator

Last night’s Showtime/PBC/TGB Promotions Main Event between highly favourite and undefeated Chris Colbert (16-1, 6 Kos) and undefeated Hector Luis Garcia (15-0, 10 Kos, 3 NC)
brought quite the show to the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Nevada.

Hector Luis Garcia who came in as a late replacement due to the original opponent WBA Super Featherweight Champion Roger Gutierrez forced to withdraw after testing positive for Covid-19, stepped up to the plate and embraced this opportunity with open arms and the right “game plan” at hand.

Hector came out the gate with aggressive but controlled pressure, landing some heavy gloves from head to body that clearly caught Chris off guard right from the jump. Hector boxed with a sense of confidence round after round showing absolutely no fear to his opponent. As a late replacement, Hector looked quite prepared for everything Chris had to offer inside that squared circle.


That said, it was clear to me as the rounds progressed that Chris noticeably underestimated his opponent and although he talked a good game prior to the bout, his performance last night lacked that quick twitch and high-rated type action that Colbert is known for.

Chris’ usual tight defence was a no-show last night by the way he was getting touched up and due to him being overzealous at times, Chris succumbed to his fist knockdown by a clean left hand that landed flush on his chin, down for a quick 8 count.

Chris was outgunned and overmatched by Hector who simply outworked the No. 1 ranked WBA Super Featherweight on his biggest night of his career to date.

After 12 full completed rounds, the Judges scored it 118-109, 118-109 and 119-108 all in favor of Hector Luis Garcia.

Congratulations on your latest and highly convincing win Hector, you have now earned the right to challenge WBA Super Featherweight Champion Roger Gutierrez (23-3, 20 Kos).

Can’t wait to see the outcome of that particular bout.

Blaze